Your VCU Experience
VCU Transform is the 2-year Living-Learning Program for students who want to explore their leadership potential and become engaged as change-makers in their local communities.
Students will build skills through activities and coursework while living in guaranteed apartments in the West Grace North Residence Hall. Students who complete the VCU Transform Living-Learning Program will receive a Certificate of Completion in Leadership Studies and Experiential Learning.
Is the Transform Living-Learning Program for Me?
Students should consider VCU Transform as they look for a place to build a community, challenge themselves, and grow in their time at VCU.
VCU Transform provides important experiential learning opportunities that support students' career goals and fulfill VCU REAL (relevant, experiential, applied learning) requirements as a level-4 experience. But most importantly, you are living and learning with your peers, who help support you and guide you through this shared experience. With a staff of engaged and invested professionals working in the building you live in, the community we build will guide you to achieve your goals and make an impact during your time in the program.
Who is Eligible for VCU Transform?
Any undergraduate student interested in developing their understanding of leadership through a variety of contexts. Candidates must have completed their first year and have at least two years left to complete at VCU.
Requirements of VCU Transform:
- Commit to a 2-year living-learning program
- Reside in West Grace North Residence Hall
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Complete 60 hours of beyond-the-classroom activities
- Enroll in a 9-12 credit course curriculum
- Complete a pathway experience (internship, study abroad, peer leadership, research, entrepreneurship, or community service)
- Create and submit an ePortfolio
How to Apply
Applications for the 2023-2024 cohort will open on October 10, 2022. Please check back soon to apply!
Join us to learn more at an Open House this fall!
In-person open houses will take place in West Grace North Residence Hall.
Virtual Open Houses will be through zoom: https://vcu.zoom.us/j/88267727050
September 20, 5-6pm
September 28, 12-1pm (Virtual)
October 7, 4-6pm
October 14, 3-5pm (Virtual)
October 28, 4-5pm
November 14, 6-7pm
November 17, 12-1pm (Virtual)
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the top 5 reasons to join VCU Transform!
- Build relationships and find a community through the VCU Transform living experience while living in GUARANTEED apartment-style housing!
- Unleash your leadership potential through courses and activities.
- Engage with VCU Transform staff and faculty who are dedicated to your successes at VCU and beyond.
- Complete an immersive experiential learning pathway that will help you achieve your career and professional goals.
- Expand your network by interacting with campus and community leaders.
...and since we couldn't pick just five, here's a few more!
- Transform students get to register early for classes!
- Program lectures, trips, events, and activities are offered only to Transform students!
- You live with, take classes with, and have fun with friends that you've made in the program!
- Did we mention that it's guaranteed housing in apartments?
- The staff and faculty are pretty cool.
VCU Transform is the living-learning program at VCU. Transform students will study and practice leadership through the lenses of community engagement and global competencies. Our students will develop as leaders with the knowledge and skills to make impactful changes in their communities, families, and classes. We also have opportunities through our requirements to explore and engage in leadership, community service, diversity and inclusivity initiatives. We also offer experiential learning opportunities in study abroad, innovation, research, peer leadership, internships, and service. VCU Transform was new in 2021, so if you want to be a part of the 2nd class of leaders making changes at VCU and beyond, this is the LLP for you!
All VCU Transform students must follow the following requirements to remain in and comlpete the VCU Transform program:
- Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Live in the west grace north residence hall
- Enroll and complete the 9-12 credit course curriculum
- Complete at least 60 hours of beyond-the-classroom experiences over 2 years
- Engage in experiential learning pathway
- Create and submit an e-portfolio
Yes. All students who are in Transform are required to live in our residence hall in West Grace North. The only exception is for RAs who live in other buildings as part of their position.
Due to the program being a living-learning program, we place students in rooms together who are in the program. You can create a roommate group on the housing application only if they are also members of Transform. Otherwise, you will be randomly placed in an apartment with other Transform students.
Not at all! Our students come from all different backgrounds, levels of experience, and from all majors. We work hard in the classroom and co-curricular activities to reflect and connect leadership learning back to all majors and industries.
Yes, in the previous LLPs we have found that all of our students have no problem adding the additional courses to their schedule. For most semesters, it’s only an additional 1-credit class to add.
There is a bonus of being in Transform—you get to register early! We work with our students to register early and get into our classes. However, we also allow independent study for classes under extreme circumstances.
There is no cost to be in Transform and we provide all programming, lectures, and events for free to our students. There is a cost to live residentially in the residence hall and for the additional credits, but that is not a fee instituted by the program.
Sure! As long as you can commit 2 years in the program, you are welcome to apply any time.
You will be asked to complete several essays and fill out demographic information. Applications will open on October 10, 2022, and will be accepted until the housing deadline or when filled.