Beyond the Classroom - Division of Student Affairs Blog

Beyond the Classroom

Student Affairs Blog ...

Breaking Out of Our Comfort Zones

Division of Student Affairs • Student-focused • October 23, 2017

I appreciate the diversity. I knew that would be the reason I would come to VCU, however I did not expect this level of inclusion on campus. Coming here has amplified my inquisitiveness and allowed me to break out of my comfort zone.

Being Heard

Division of Student Affairs • Student-focused • December 6, 2017

The thing that I appreciate most about VCU is the diversity. Learning about other people cultures and orientations is fascinating.

Working for Your Voice

What I appreciate about VCU is the diverse community and VCU's effort, alongside the student body, to unite the entire campus. This includes different programs and events, both university and student lead, that are inclusive and welcoming to all who want to participate. With this, new students, students of different backgrounds, returning students, and even staff and faculty are able to feel truly at home.

Finding Your Niche

I went to VCU originally for Creative Advertising degree. I graduated in 2012 and I fell in love with Richmond immediately and then fell in love with the school and the campus. I was a little nervous about being in such a large campus environment right away but you still have a small town feel and a community feel at this campus. There are so many opportunities and great experiences I have been able to gain while being here so it was really a no brainer when I decided I wanted to go back to school, VCU was definitely top of the list for sure.

Getting Involved Across the Globe

I appreciate VCU's diversity! It's actually one of the biggest reasons I decided to attend. I went to high school in a location that was not diverse and I found it very hard to keep to my roots and not lose myself. Once at VCU I immediately joined the Latino Student Association and finally felt like I had people who not only understood what I had experienced, but had also experienced it themselves.

Living the Ram Life

I appreciate how VCU lives up to its mission of promoting diversity and how there is something for absolutely everyone.

Involvement, Innovation and Interning

Something I have always loved about VCU is the support that students are able to receive. We have some amazing and well-connected faculty, staff, even students and I love the fact that I cannot go a week without hearing a success story. Diversity and opportunity are the things that brought me here but SUCCESS is what is keeping me in place.

Networking, Artistry and People

VCU has tied us into the dream that we can all MAKE IT REAL. This means leading in our actions to be inclusive and diverse in all our glory. We're encouraged to take the higher road and branch out as far as we can to amplify our success, both educationally and personally.

Planning for the Future

What I appreciate the most about this university is how it feels like a family on this campus.

The View From Up There

It honestly doesn't feel like work when you love what you do.

Staying Hungry

There are numerous opportunities for students to say what they feel around campus, and I am grateful that I have found my place to be heard.

Giving You an Edge

Opportunity. VCU is a place for opportunity and growth when you are here you are here for at least 4 years and in that four years you are able to pursue as many opportunities as possible.

Helping Others

Everyone Can Find A Home

I really love VCU's diversity. I think that before coming here a lot of people may have felt left out, but at VCU everyone can find a home because of its diversity. There is a space for everyone to fit in. I like the people aspect at VCU. Helping to foster the growth of others is very attractive about the profession.

State of the Student Body

Katie Clark • Student-focused • September 14, 2017

As most know, there have been lots of emotions surrounding the outcomes of last week's elections, locally and nationally. One of the great things about our country is our freedom to vote - and vote any way we want. Some of us may feel celebratory with the election results, others of us may feel disappointed. But in this time, I ask that we all try to the best of our abilities to stay united as a university, to be accepting of each other, and to remember that here at VCU, we are an inclusive university who respects all of our fellow students, faculty, and staff.

End of Semester Update

Chuck Klink • Student-focused • September 14, 2017

As we approach midterms and the upcoming rush to the end of the semester, I wanted to acknowledge that for many students this is a time of stress and increased external pressure. Although these feelings are normal, they can be difficult to manage at times. Even if this is not your experience, you may be aware of those around you laboring as the semester draws to a close.
Are you looking for something in particular?